If I had to list some of my earliest pop culture influences, No Doubt and Gwen Stefani would be pretty high on that list. I remember buying Tragic Kingdom in seventh grade and listening to it CONSTANTLY. I would sit in my room and study the liner notes to memorize all the lyrics. Gwen’s style and aesthetic left quite the impression on me over the years.
I’ve waxed poetic already on my longtime love for Urban Decay on here before, so I won’t repeat myself, but basically the combining of Gwen & UD is everything high school aged me ever wanted! It really is a perfect pairing if you think about it.
While there are several pieces in the collection, I only purchased the lipstick and 24/7 Glide-On lip liner in 714. It’s a super matte, neutral red. It’s the red lip you think of when you envision Gwen’s iconic style. And the packaging! I love the geometric gold on black and white, it’s so pretty. However, one thing I did notice is that the packaging on the lipsticks is a lighter weight plastic than the eyeshadow and blush palettes and even the regular line of Revolution lipsticks and I found that to be a little disappointing. But the Gwen lipsticks are $4 less than the permanent Revolution lipsticks, so maybe it’s not that bad.
There were several lipsticks included in the release (with about four of those being shades of red), but 714 is the only one with a brand-new finish and formula – Mega Matte. This is very close to MAC’s Retro Matte finish or like a matte liquid lipstick. Very dry, flat and pigmented. I have many reds in my collection, but none with a truly neutral tone like 714. When I say it’s neutral, I mean that it doesn’t lean too cool with blue or pink undertones or too warm with orange or yellow undertones. This lipstick is the iconic Gwen Stefani red lip that she’s been sporting for basically forever.
The lip liner is UD’s permanent line formula 24/7 Glide-On, so it’s slick and creamy and the perfect base for the matteness of the lipstick. For best results, especially with really flat mattes like these, is to make sure to exfoliate and moisturize your lips really well before applying. Don’t have a lip scrub? You can make your own with a little olive oil and brown sugar or even just running your toothbrush over your lips after brushing your teeth works, too. Let your lip balm have about 5-10 minutes to absorb before applying the liner and lipstick.
More pictures after the jump!
So this lipstick? IT’S SO GOOD YA’LL. One of the most comfortable true mattes I’ve ever worn. I hope that UD expands the range of Mega Matte colors soon (although I wonder if this is a precursor to a larger release in the fall?).
This red will look good with just about anything else you put on your face, but for that true Gwen look I’d aim for a simple eye with liquid liner and an even, matte face. For a true nineties look, add some skinny brows and a bindi!
To get a really crisp edge around your lips, line the outsides with a flesh toned pencil (I like the mini one that comes with Hard Candy’s Glamoflauge concealer, but NYX and MAC each make one as well).
- L’Oreal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup in W3
- Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Sand
- Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer in Light Medium on blemishes & mini pencil around lips (both blended out with a Beauty Blender)
- Rimmel London Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Creamy Natural
- MAC Sculpt & Shape powder in Bone Beige & Emphasize
- NARS Deep Throat blush
- Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Highlight
- Urban Decay Original Eyeshadow Potion Primer
- Naked from UD Naked palette in crease
- Colour Pop I❤ This on lid
- Reddish brown matte from Morphe 35O palette (the one in the dead center)
- Colour Pop On The Rocks in outer corners (discontinued shade, sorry!😦 )
- Both crease colors smoked out on bottom lash line
- The matte and shimmer shades in the upper left corner of Morphe 35O palette (mixed together) on brow bone and tear duct
- L’Oreal Carbon Black Lineur Intense brush tip liquid liner on upper lash line
- Revlon ColorStay liner in Black on lower lash line
- L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black mascara
- Anastasia Beverly Hills DipBrow Pomade in Medium Brown
So what’s your favorite No Doubt or Gwen Stefani solo album? I’ve always loved Return of Saturn (so underrated!), followed by Tragic Kingdom and Gwen’s first solo release.
Thanks for hanging out with me and Gwen!